Top 5 ways to improve your mood naturallyThursday, December 04, 2014
Top 5 Ways To Improve Your Mood Naturally
(and survive the Holidays)
It's officially December. Which means in most of the country it's cold or snowing. Days of relaxing by the pool, wearing flip flops, or running off to the beach are now replaced with shoveling driveways, big coats, and running as quickly as you can from the car to the house. It's also the busy time of year with the Holidays. Some people thrive on this and love the hot chocolate, fireplaces, and family gatherings.
This list is not for those people.
If you are someone who gets a bit of the blues when the weather gets colder, or a little stressed about the idea of shopping with a million people trying to find the perfect gifts and going place to place for the holidays....here are some quick, natural ways to boost your mood....before Aunt Helen (and Grandma Jean and Uncle Joe) can ask you if you've finally settled down yet.
1. Get Outside- That's right. I know I just said how cold and snowy it was out there, but you know what? Even if you go outside for a walk for 10 minutes, it's actually proven to boost your mood. Take time, look around. Appreciate the snow and icicles.....and if that doesn't work, you'll be a lot happier once you get back inside and get warm. Mission accomplished.
2. Sing- Yup, even if you can't carry a tune like me. Blast your favorite upbeat song and sing. If you throw in some dancing you'll feel even better. (You may want to make sure no one else is home for this)
3. Sniff lemons- or oranges, or anything citrus. It has been scientifically proven to boost your mood in a matter of seconds. So if you're at a big holiday function and everyone is cooking and carrying on....go ahead on in there and offer to help bake the lemon loaf. If anyone sees you sniffing the lemons....run...take the lemon with you. It may come in handy with the inevitable next round of questioning involving when you started huffing citrus fruits.
4. Take a hot shower- or bath. The warm water will wash away all of the negative energy from the day. Bonus points if you include tip #2! It will also give you a few moments peace in an otherwise busy day.....and you'll look nice and fresh for when Great Aunt Trina tries to set you up with her best friend from bingo's grandson Todd.
5. Exercise- It releases endorphins which make you feel happier. Even if you don't want to do it, you always feel better once you start. And you can look back on it and feel accomplished...and you can justify that extra piece of pie.